Friday, August 14, 2009

It's Real Simple: Growing Up

"But, why do I have to grow up?"
I still reflect on that bittersweet moment long ago . I sat on my father's lap as he sat on the dark vinyl Danish modern recliner in our living room on Sheri Drive.
"But I don't want to!"was my protest, so often repeated in the most difficult moments of my life.

What I hadn't latched onto then but would some 35 years later, is that I wouldn't have to go this road alone. Adulthood, I had suspected, required a great and glamorous solo flight, the sort that would wow the world as they watched my wings spread within my own sinewy strength. Growing up, I now understand, is a weaving together of those elements of experiences and people in life that bind us in commonality rather than exclusivity. It takes a village to raise a child, and certainly a village to launch an adult. And for that I'm grateful. Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!