Friday, September 4, 2009

Why I Love Nutmeg

When I consider nutmeg, the sound of the word elicits luscious memories of the most creamy sensation between my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Nutmeg, of course, isn’t creamy but rather grainy-dusty in both its grated and ground form, but what showcases the slightly metallic, peppery-sweet nutmeg better than the subtly savory, uber-creamy béchamel atop Mediterranean pastitsio? Or a chilled glass full to the brim with my favorite Caribbean cocktail, the creamy, coconut-pineapple-rum-laden Painkiller with just a smidgen of the grated seed atop?

Sure, nutmeg brings to mind everybody’s grandmother’s pumpkin bread, but I find it is lost there amidst cinnamon and clove. Nutmeg is feisty enough to stand up to alcohol, cloyingly sweet fruit, and fatty meat. I love its independence; its potency; its snap. Nutmeg likes to be shown off as a dark-sprinkled contrast to food and drink that otherwise appears plain and boring. Nutmeg may well be the very essence of mystery and intrigue that draws us in closer for a taste.

If you're among those who have never cared for the tinny taste of the pre-ground spice, I heartily recommend picking up whole nutmeg at your local grocery or international market next time you're in the spice section. Keep the seed in an airtight container and simply grate a sprinkling on your next sweet potato, fresh peach, or coconut-based summer cocktail. The fresh, round, earthy flavor will be less metallic and more heady than the canned ground stuff and, perhaps, you too will fall in love. Be sure to let me know what you think. Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!